Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launcher can be used to carry out surgical strikes even without crossing the border.
Pinaka rockets will be bought for an estimated cost of Rs 40 crore for 22 regiments of multi-barrel rockets launchers.
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launcher system is an indigenous weapon system designed and developed by DRDO and produced in collaboration with L&T and Tata Power SED in India only.
- The system was used effectively in Kargil war.
- DRDO on Tuesday tested a new version of the rockets which can be guided to land bang on enemy targets.
- It can be used to carry out surgical strikes even without crossing the border.
- It will also help in reducing the weapon system requirements for the Army.
- It can also help reduce requirements for imported Russian Smerch long range rocket systems.
- Army has already inducted 10 regiments of the Pinaka missiles in its artillery wing.
- Missile deployed on both Pakistan and China borders.indiatoday